Sunday, June 5, 2011

Quizzz



Here are two photos of flying insects.  One is a bee, one is a wannabee.  






Well, not really but, trust me, some people would call it a bee.  It is some kind of fly, but look how similar its coloration is to that of the bee!  And the furriness!  The knobby little antennae, big eyes and wing position are typical fly attributes. Along with several other species of flies, especially flower or hover flies, it was feeding on the Sargent crabapple tree in our yard.  And, I should say, honeybees were actively collecting pollen as were a number of native bees, some very small and bronze, very metallic-looking.  I will post photos of as many as I can at a later date. 



PS.  If you identified the first insect as the bee you get an A!

1 comment:

  1. I had to look twice, and I keep bees! I need to spend more quality time with my Xerces reference guide.

    ReplyDelete