Monday, October 3, 2011

Bee B and B

At the edge of light tonight I was preparing an area to plant a new shrub and wandered by chance by a sunflower.  I peeked into its slightly downturned head to find a surprise - four bumblebees that seeming to be resting. I ran for my camera and flash, thinking to myself that this truly was a bee bed and breakfast, offering a safe overnight haven plus the ready availability of a morning repast.  When I got everything set up and focused on the few square inches that comprised the scene, however, I could see that the bees were not "asleep" at all but rather roaming slowly around the middle of the flower.  So rather than a bed and breakfast,  it was a more like a late snack and lounge, a hostlery with kitchen privileges.     I hope I remember to go out later with a flash light to see if they are still grazing.  


So, this is what bees do if they don't have a hive to huddle in overnight....I am wondering if they are all male bees....In the close-up you can see how they are dusted with the pollen grains....



Bumblebees grazing in center of sunflower

Dusted with pollen

No comments:

Post a Comment